September 15, 2010
Yesterdays picture taking wasn't enough torture, so we decided to do it again today. I have to say we got some great pictures of Evan with his nieces and nephew, though! And the sibling shot isn't bad either. OK! I'll admit it. The sibling shot was taken in Pasco. Sorry, I just couldn't help slipping it in. I love that picture!!
I've heard a lot of stories from several people about their experiences of dropping their sons or daughters off at the MTC. But I don't think any of those fully sink in until it's your own kid. Then the world stops. And it's a really strange dichotomy. You're happy that he chose to serve a mission, happy that he was worthy to go, happy for the growth he'll experience (and the adventure). And you wouldn't want him to be anywhere else at this time in his life. But, as a friend once said about their son leaving on his mission, "It's like someone reached in and ripped your heart out when you see them walk away". And while I'm sure Evan will serve Heavenly Father and the people of Germany to the best of his ability and with all his heart, we here at home will miss him dearly for the next two years.
![]() |
| Little Miss Piglet will be a totally different person when her Uncle Evan gets back home in 2 years. |
That being said, the system for dropping off your missionary at the MTC is a slick one. They have it well planned and orchestrated. You pull up to the curb, shove them out the door, and speed away. Just kidding. You actually have a set time for drop off, along with many other missionaries. Several in every set of 15 minute increments. When you pull up to the curb there are resident missionaries waiting to help with the luggage and to escort the new missionary inside and show him the ropes. Terry and I each gave Evan a brief but very large hug. Before getting back in the truck, I turned and gave Evan a big grin and a thumbs up. Then I got in and promptly fell apart. How slow can two years go, right?
Well - right now it feels like eternity.

No comments:
Post a Comment