05 March 2011

Word from Wesel - Monday, February 28, 2011


Monday, February 28, 2011

Well, life seems to go on when you’re not there in the middle of it. C D is getting married? What the crazy!

We ourselves were revisited by snow but not very much, just a skiff. It is raining more than anything, which brings me home and puts my companion off. He is from Utah and much prefers the blue skies and shinning sun. What’s that about?

I will try sending some pictures today! They go all the way back to late December up until now. You get two cycles worth of pictures! Also, tell me if I look fat. According to the scales in Wetzlar I gained like ten pounds last cycle. I don’t know why! I’ve weighed the same since I gained like 20 pounds during swim team. Now I am ten pounds heavier. I think it all went to my face, but you can be the judge.

Thanks for the package! My companion appreciates the treats just as much as I do. The article was really cool to read considering the last dedicatory prayer that was just given. I sure hope I can see some of those promises come true that President Uchtdorf gave. I am convinced that the families of missionaries, especially moms, are just as involved in the work as the missionaries are. Thanks for everything!

And meine gute! C informed me that my Avatar is sitting in my room right now. As disturbing as it was to see my face plastered to that... that thing... I really appreciated it :) Now I understand what you were talking about! Really creative I say, and quite the resemblance. I even got to light off fireworks! Haha *sigh* I love my family.

Couple side notes real quick. I heard Facebook deletes your profile after a year of inactivity. Have you logged into that at all? Also, when do I need to start worrying about BYU again? Thanks for the thought but I am doing alright with the deo and the toothpaste.

I am going to summarize for you real quick one of the strangest experiences I have had thus far which occurred just this last Friday. A couple days before that we contacted this guy on the street named J. He is from C and said that he had met the Mormons before and would love to meet with us again. The catch, he was drunk at that time. We figured he would be sober the next time we met and that we could have a good gospel oriented conversation with him. Long story short, come Friday we pick him up at Bahnhof in one of the other cities we work in so that we could ride to the genealogy night at the church together. He was a little less drunk this time but still drunk. From that point through the next five hours we spent with him I was looking for ways to get out of this situation we were in, while Elder C was determined to get him to this church activity. We collected stares from people on the buses and the trains and we also learned a lot about him in that time. He speaks English, Hungarian, Polish, German and Russian. His grandmother was the Baroness of Norway and his Grandfather was General Lutz (General over all of Europe). He knows more about the Mormons than the Mormons know about themselves, including the fact that Joseph Smith was from Hungary but changed his name when he moved to the states. The golden plates also originated in Hungary. Actually, everything good comes out of Hungary. He has an ancient Hungarian sword worth 2 million dollars in his closet and he knows how to build a UFO. Well we got him to the genealogy night and he spent something like 30 minutes in the bathroom as soon as we got to the church. Turns out he was smoking in the church bathroom as evident by the smoke filled room and ashes in the sink. He denied it when the Branch President asked him. We decided it was time to go when J was determined we were practicing scientology, when all he heard was stuff about ancestors and dates. As we were leaving, the Branch President realized something was up and helped us out. We were driving J to the Bahnhof when he said he had no place to stay and that he might as well throw himself in front of one of the trains. Not wanting him to do that, the Branch President took us all to the local Rewe to get him some food and then to the police station to find a place for him to stay for the night. After all this was over I realized a couple things. One, never take a drunk man to a church activity. But two, I just need to be more charitable. The whole time I was with this man I was thinking of ways we could ditch him. Not once was I concerned about helping out. Our Branch President handled it well and I am really glad he was there. He was a good example for me.
Well, we keep getting calls from J asking for our help but President Ninow just told us to ignore him and block his calls. J isn’t really homeless he was just really drunk that night. The police were actually surprised he wasn’t dead. While waiting for a train he walked to an Aldi to get something. He came back more drunk than he was before. But a miracle happened! In that time at the train station we made contact with a 24-year-old student who was really cool and potentially could be a new investigator. He was wondering why two Americans were hanging out with a drunken guy and just wanted to help out. Then every time J walked off somewhere we were able to talk to him about the gospel. Sweet!

Yup. Crazy stuff. Doing well. Cold is nearly gone. Talk to you next week!

Love
Elder Evan



No comments:

Post a Comment