04 January 2011

Word from Erfurt - Jan. 3, 2011

Yes, I did get the annual Peterson letter and yes I can print out emails. I loved the letter and was a bit surprised to see it actually. I don't why. I keep on telling myself I need to write more letters but it is so expensive to send just one letter. Almost 2 American dollars. I shouldn't complain, that doesn't sound like much. But it does add up after a while.

I can't believe James is a senior comp! That is way weird. To think that when he will have been out a year I'll have been out sixth months. I still feel like I just left, but time is slipping away. There are times when it feels longer than I'd like it to, but that's my sign I need to focus on the work. I like working with Elder Hohman because he helps me get excited about the work. I want to make sure that I am actively engaged and not just passively doing the work. That is my focus at the moment. With the new year and the new cycle we have decided it is time to work with the members, because that is where the success will be. We want to get the members excited about doing missionary work so we are going to start meeting with them and giving them missionary plans that they can follow and stay excited about. We want to get as much done as we can and really get the ward started because Elder Hohman won't be here next cycle and more likely than not they will transfer Elder Owens and myself because only ZLs are supposed to be here in Erfurt. But we will see how it goes! Once Elder Dieduksman left all of this responsibility was just thrown onto my plate, which actually I am grateful for. It gets me out of my comfort zone and past all that awkward stuff that comes at the beginning. Meine gute! I finally got into the phone calling stuff which is way intense talking in another language because I already have a hard time understanding English on the phone. But you do what you have to do. I think that is one thing I've really come to understand is that you do whatever you have to do.

The mad-eye moody eye is sweet! Love it. Everyone thought it was random... but of course! That's what makes it awesome! The duck was OK. There wasn't much meat and it wasn't worth the work but it wasn't terrible. We still have yet to make the pumpkin cake. Elder Owens insists we make pie which at first I was like ok. But now it is not going anywhere and I already have the stuff for cake. I'll make it soon. Those snow shoe things work really well! I had a couple times where they have slipped off but I think I can figure something out there. I must say I have no idea what your talking about with this Avatar thing of me. You watched you tube videos through the apple tv thing which sounds sweet. But is that what you are talking about? As far as the package, they gave me no receipt. I just paid and they took the package. So we will see if it ever gets there.

I don't remember if I ever explained the Tschuss book but what it is is basically a journal/year book type thing. It is way cool. You pass it between missionaries you work with and they write in it and put pictures in it and stuff. I figure this Journal you gave me is pretty special and would be lost with a bunch of other normal journals that I will go through on the mission. So as long as it is ok I will use it for my Tschuss book. It's hard to describe how cool it is without seeing it, but you can in 20ish months I guess.

The new years was surprisingly like it is in Marysville. Lots and lots of fireworks. Except people here light them off in the tiniest spaces between buildings and off the roofs of buildings. There are still firework remnants everywhere. We ourselves set up a badminton net in our living room and held a tournament while sitting in our rolly chairs. It was way fun.

The work itself hasn't seen too much success yet but I think everything with this last month was just too crazy to be super effective so we will see how it goes. I'm doing good! I'm tired and always just a little homesick. But I learn to get over that and work. I've never liked the winter season past christmas because it always seems to drag on. But I am excited for what is to come.

Elder Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment