Well I've got a full week of Usingen under my belt and even though it is different from the busy streets of Erfurt, I still like it just the same. Work feels a little slower here because there aren't as many people around to talk to but it goes. I don't know if I told you but Elder M is my other comp. He was in the MTC with me. Since Elder C is the District Leader we still get our fair share of golden splits when he heads off to work with other companionships. There is another companionship that we hang out with a lot in the Wetterau area. One of the Elders was also in the MTC with me and the other is going home at the end of the Cycle. We get our fair share of lunches in together and games of Siedlers and Risiko. The elder going home, Elder L, has got his own band called I am Echo. He does all the instruments and sings and everything. You should check it out on iTunes! It is legit stuff.
So story - Elder M and I were alone doing some work in one of the little stadtteils and Elder C asked us to look for this one less aktive who lived in this area next to a big scary prison on the hill. His number was number 23 but they have never been able to find it in the past. So we looked and looked and couldn't find it. We found all of these really old scary buildings sharing the number 21 which was way weird but no 23. I finally asked someone walking on the street if she knew where 23 was and she was like, 'Yeah! It's there.' And she pointed to the big scary prison on the hill. We weren't sure if this was a joke or not but we went up to the security check in desk anyway and asked the security guard if this guy was there. He said he had no idea because there were like 500 something prisoners and he didn't know any of them. He said the best thing we could do would be to write a letter to this guy and see if he gives us special visitor permission. We'll see how that goes. I think it would be way cool. The whole thing was just random and weird though. My favorite type of situation :)
Pretty much everyone in our ward works for the church and there are a lot of members who speak English which is nice but also not. It hurts the German practice but whatev. This one member does family history work for the church and found like seventeen generations worth of family history for Elder M. I really wish I had taken more interest in family history when I was home. I have that entire book that I don't think I ever appreciated fully and I am sorry for that. I can't wait to spend more time with that in the future.
I'm kind of bummed about the pictures because all the ones you finally get will be old news :/ Oh well. At least we still have them.
The weather your experiencing sounds similar to here. We have hit spring really early. As soon as I hit Usingen the snow just started to melt and it has gotten warmer and warmer. Maybe the seasons are shifting! Winter came early this year and has left early too. Crazy Germany. The weather actually feels more like home which is nice. I don't feel like I live on the Hoth system anymore.
H and R sent me emails! Everyone sounds like they've got something going on. The little Hammlings are growing up! C is even saving for a mission. I'm looking forward to the pictures and the future news.
Well! Overall I am doing really well. I feel like I've developed the right attitude about the work which is the first step. Progress feels slow but when I look at it from a distance it really is going fast. The language and my usefulness as a missionary is what I am referring to. All is well and I am glad I can serve the Lord in such a way.
Elder Evan
No comments:
Post a Comment