07 December 2010

First Word From Germany - Nov.23, 2010

Man I hate this German keyboard! Well so much has happened I don't even really know where to start. It's been a week already! Can't believe it. Feels more like a month. But a good month. 

I'm sorry but we don't know what our new address is! You might have to send the package to the mission office. Our first day here we had to move from the old place to a new one that fit 4 elders... 4! Yup. I am with one of the few foursomes. The reason we have a foursome is because there were so many new Elders that they needed zone leaders to be trainers. So the zone leaders are still together but they are training two new elders, myself and Elder O. There are other ZLs for other zones but I think we lucked out. However, since we live with the ZLs, we will be going on lots of splits. We had our first all day one yesterday. What a great learning experience and also a humbling one. The ZLs went to Frankfurt while we were in charge of 


The Anger area in Erfurt
Erfurt. Oh yeah! This is my area. Erfurt is an interesting place full of lots of crazy people and hard exteriors. It has character though. It's a medium sized city. But anyway. Yesterday two Goldens (new missionaries) were roaming the streets trying to talk to people in German. Not so bad. We have some approaches and depending on how old the person is we can usually make out what is being said. We have a car in our area too so we were required to use that to get to some appointments as well. So Mom you can rest safe and sound knowing your son is driving the crazy streets of Germany. It's not that bad really. But Elder O wouldn't drive so I will probably be doing most of that when we have our frequent splits.

I honestly don't know where to start. Mainly because I know it would take a lot of time to talk about everything. But right now I feel pretty useless. I can sometimes understand what is being said and throw in some sentences of my own every once and a while. Our branch consists of about 40 or 50 people. All are way crazy and weird but that is why they are awesome. Whenever someone talks to me I usually just smile and nod. It works and gets me through the day. I'm going to write my mission pres real fast then I'll write you all another email. I just don't want my comp to have to wait around.

Tuesday, Nov. 23, 2010 (2nd email)

Thanksgiving is in a couple days! I am grateful for my coat. I am grateful for my fellow missionaries and for those people that are willing to hear what we have to say. Even those who aren't, they're OK too. I'm grateful for my family who I know loves me and supports me every step of the way. And of course I am grateful for my Heavenly Father and my Savior, who without I could not do this. I struggle a little bit each day but I know that weak things will be made strong.
So. I'll just tell you a little bit for the sake of time. Yesterday when Elder O and I were contacting there was this one really awkward one I did. It was my turn and I could see these two people walking towards us, a man and a woman. They looked like a couple so I was like, 'sweet! I can talk to them about families and living together forever and happiness and all that good stuff the gospel is about.' I approached them and did my spiel saying that my colleague and I were talking about duh duh duh duh duh.... Then the guy said something like, 'we're not companions. We're colleagues too.' Then they showed us the badges on the arms of their jackets. We were like, 'Oh... OK! Tschuss!' They thought it was pretty funny. So did Elder O. It was an honest but awkward mistake. I don't know. There hasn't been anything much more embarrassing than that. On the train ride from Frankfurt to Erfurt my companion and I sat next to this really nice lady who asked us a lot of questions about what it is we do and how she makes all of the products out of cork for the weihnachtsmarkts. I listened and could understand quite a bit of what she was saying so I assumed this whole communicating in German thing wasn't going to be too bad. Then we get to the old wohnung and there was a member there who was getting ready to help us move all of our stuff to the new place. That's when I began to worry. His blonde spiky hair could describe his personality. He was very intense and loud and when he gave you some sort of instruction he peered into your soul expecting you to understand. Of course Elder O and I didn't because he talked so fast. But the night went on like that for a very long time and by the end I was exhausted. It's weird hearing German words actually put into use that you understand. When learning, IDK, I just never expected to hear them or something. Like, people actually say these things? It's a weird sensation but it is pretty exciting when you understand something. Then you know that progress is being made. A lot better than the German I spoke a few years ago at one of the train stations. 'Ich verstehe nicht.' At least I can do a little more than that. It is weird hearing all the little german kinder speak the language better than you. They think it's pretty funny too. I've already had some intense and awesome eating appointments with the very eclectic members in the ward. Oh! We have a stalker. Laugh out loud. Apparently this guy A had a crush on the Sister missionaries and the Elders baptized him and eventually it just turned into him wanting attention from all the missionaries. He was never sincere so he got baptized but never went to church so he hasn't been confirmed. He leaves notes and tries to give you stuff. I think we are going now so I will say goodbye. A lot is going on but no time to share. Love ya! Tschuss!

Elder Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment